Saturday, April 17, 2010

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

I am determined to lose weight so I have not been allowing myself to buy junk food when I'm out and about or at the grocery store and I will get rid of all the junk food in my house. By eating it. Not all at one time, but in moderation. I will eat it and I will not replace it, thus limiting my access to junk. Great theory right?

 The ice cream went first, then the Popsicles (although I 'm thinking of removing Popsicles from the junk list), the cookies have been gone for what seems like forever. I'm now down to the boxes of brownies, cakes, and muffins that fill my makeshift pantry shelves. The good thing about things that need to be baked is that I have to really want something to take the time bake it. And a little secret, frequently after I take the time to bake something, I no longer want to eat them. The smell has satisfied me. Yesterday was a day where I was hankering for something sweet and warm and delicious. Brownies, but if I was going to heat up the oven and in turn, my tiny apartment, they couldn't be just plain brownies. And really, who wants to read a blog or a tweet about plain old out of the box brownies. Big deal Callie. you put water, oil, and eggs in with some premade mix and popped the pan in the oven. Good job!

The Idea

My husband L-O-V-E-S peanut butter almost as much as I do. So i decided peanut butter swirl brownies were in order. Not that I'd ever made them before, but the concept was divine. I prepared the box as directed with two changes.

Change #1- I only used 1/2 the amount of oil the recipe called for. (My logic in this was that peanut butter has a good bit of oil in it)

Change #2- After pouring the batter into the pan, I poured melted peanut butter (about 3 BIG tablespoons) over the top and used a butter knife to swirl it in with the chocolate.

The Result




In the future I will probably put the peanut butter and brownie batter in in layers so that the swirls go all the way through not just on the surface.

What do ya' think? What are some creative things you have done with basic box mixes or think would be yummy to try? Leave me a comment and maybe I'll try it and let you know!

1 comment: