Thursday, March 4, 2010

Ella's One Month Stats...

Yesterday was Ella's one month appointment. I was really nervous about this appointment as I don't think she has been gaining much weight and I knew that was one of our pediatrician's main concerns. She lost a lot in the beginning due to jaundice. Apparently the APA finds a loss of 10% or less ok but over that they have concern. Well she lost more than 10% of her birth weight.


Flash forward to yesterday. I know that my daughter is, on the whole, healthy. She is strong and alert. She makes her needs known and she is generally a very happy baby. The first thing they did at her appointment was weight and length.


I undressed her and handed her to the nurse who placed her on the scale. The numbers jumped and then began to climb. 8.8...8.14...9.4!!! WOOHOO!! WAY TO GO BABY ELLA! Way to go mommy! Your milk is making her strong! Your milk is giving her the nourishment she needs!


Ella measured 22 3/4 inches long and passed all the other things the doc checked her for. She had to get her second hep B vaccination and of course she didn't like that, but I quickly sat with her and nursed her and she was my calm happy baby once again. Our doctor is still a little concerned about her weight. If she had been born at 8lbs and not 8.97lbs he would be happy with her weight. But seeing as how she is really only 10 oz more than her birth weight, he wants me to try and give her an additional formula bottle a day. We'll see how that goes. I think I am going to look into how to make MY milk more fortified so to speak.


We go back in one month for her two month appointment. She is supposed to get five, yes, I said FIVE vaccinations at that time. I'm going to do a separate blog on my feelings about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment