Monday, January 25, 2010

L&D- She's coming! Or not...

I started having contractions on Saturday but they weren't close enough together. By Sunday at 5pm they were about 10 min apart. By 9pm they were 6-8 min apart. I called the on-call doc and she told me to try and chill and rest and if they got closer together to call and let her know I was on my way to L&D. I slept Sunday, well I tried to sleep, and Monday I woke up and they were about 10 min apart again. By 1 they still hadn't let up and although they weren't getting closer, they were getting stronger. I called the doc and they said to come in. I went in and they did an internal exam (sooooo much fun! NOT!). I was 1cm & 50% effaced. They hooked me up for a Non-Stress Test and it turned out my contractions were actually about 4 minutes apart. They said I should go home and do what ever I had planned for the night. If they got stronger in the next 3-4 hours or closer together, then to call and come in to L&D. Well, they got stronger and closer together. So off to L&D we went. When we got there they put us into a Labor room and hooked me up to the monitors. Sure enough about 2 minutes apart and fairly strong. The nurse tried to check my cervix but didnt know what she was doing and couldn't reach my cervix so I had to wait for another nurse to check it. I was still at 1 but a little softer than 50. At this point everyone thought that it was the night or at least the night before we would be meeting Ella Grace. Aunty Kim and Nick drove up from Grantville, and Brit drove up from Millidgeville. We were ready! I stayed like this till they checked me again at 11pm. When things were still the same, my doc said I had two options, go home and try to rest but probably be back at the hospital in a matter of hours when the contractions got worse. Or stay and they could give me something to help me sleep and hopefully allow my uterus to chill and my cervix to dilate more. Kim and Nick headed back home as it was late and they had to be back in Grantville for a delivery in the morning. Brit was settling in for the night with us. I got the meds and the stuff let my uterus chill, but also cause my contractions to completley stop. I had a drugy hazy night that I slept some but really just dozed. Poor Sean and Brit were troopers and were there for me all night getting me ice and water and helping me get my pillows arranged to try and make things more comfortable. The am doc checked me and I was still at 1 but now 75% thinned. She said I was no longer in active labor since my contractions had come to almost a complete halt and she was sending me home. I was devistated to say the lease and I'm still trying to understand WTF happened. I showered at the hospital and headed home. Brit had already taken the day off, so she came over and helped with some much needed cleaning at the apartment. We set up Ella's swing and picked up baby stuff from a couple of my other extreamly generous friends. We set up the downstairs pack-n-play and she basically kept me busy all day, trying to get ready and trying to get this baby moving again. Contractions are still coming and I'm super crampy so I know things are going on. I go back on Friday to see the OB and I guess I'll know more then. So...she didn't come Monday or Tuesday...but she has to come soon right?

No comments:

Post a Comment